Friday, August 11, 2006

Winter.

A large red smoky neon sign flickers unsteadily in the distance as acid rain drops descend slowly from a thousand feet up in the air to wash away paint from the walls of a suburban apartment building. The sea breeze sweeps a few drops on the window, some of them stick while the others slide off. The sounds of police car sirens (or was that an ambulance) from five minutes ago still ring in my head. I'd like to to hear something tranquil to get that off my ears .. like seagull cries interspersed with waves and orcas. Three notes of seagulls, a full wave hitting the shore, troubled orca wails to fade and crank up the volume -the final wave hits. Loop this sample.

Or I could just break a bottle.
The sound of a bottle breaking is a turbulent yet placid sound. Try it. For this experiment lets toss an A4 sized bottle at a wall with brute force. Pay attention. Visualize the scene in slow motion and freeze time at the instant when the bottle hits the wall. Pause.



Play.
Glass shatters and tiny fractals hurtle in random directions piercing the calm and then, there it is. The hum. It doesn't last long, so you gotta listen very carefully. If you missed it, use another bottle and try again. Once you do get to hear it, make a memory immediately. You can invoke that hum at will.

Requesting permission to stand.
brain notifying leg: we've lost contact, do you copy?
I think my leg's gone to sleep.

Girl in leopard print costume walks across the room. I need to reach for the remote before she does.

"There's no girl. We don't have a TV. Its all in your head."

But.. isn't everything?

Answer me.

I guess I need new friends. My opinion is of no consequence to you.

Feelings of @#%$% consume me. She's like a pharmaceutical product, I could just simulate her presence in our loveseat and that would be my fix for the day.
I worry sometimes. One of these days I'm going to leave a cartoon-like outline of myself when I crash through the windows and fall down fourteen floors.

Would you like to try the stuff I've been smoking?



PS: I know I've been posting erratically and I owe you an explanation, kind reader. I god promise to be a little more regular. Please continue to visit my blog.

8 Comments:

Blogger Squid said...

are you on X???

August 11, 2006 10:16 AM  
Blogger Vincent said...

no ketaki, this is fiction (kind of).
drugs are uncool.

August 11, 2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger Squid said...

:) well that is really good to know!!
was wonderin for a min there!

August 11, 2006 9:16 PM  
Blogger Rebelzz said...

So the fictional u is on coke eh???

August 17, 2006 10:05 AM  
Blogger twip said...

I love this. I love your fiction. But somehow I get the feeling that you knew that already.

:)

August 18, 2006 6:28 PM  
Blogger Vincent said...

rebel,
hehe.. not really.
and welcome here.. do keep visiting :)


megha,
why thank you.. I really appreciate it. I simply can’t say enough good things about you or your blog.

August 19, 2006 3:46 AM  
Blogger Mythreyee said...

lovely piece... and hope things are alrite with u! do blog regularly (and dont say "look who's talkin!!" :P)

August 19, 2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Vincent said...

Thanks :)
Yes, I'll be regular from now on.

August 20, 2006 2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home