Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Nosegrind.


Christian Slater's Gleaming the Cube played on Star Movies when we got cable TV for the very first time. As a gangly pimply immature boy(as opposed to the sexy stud now), most of the StarMovies movies got to me - especially this one since it packed some mean skateboarding stunts which inspired me enough to get myself a skateboard. I must've spent atleast two hours of productive time with my skateboard everyday after school, however, the lack of a halfpipe in Madras was the big downer guilty of snipping my skills in the bud. The falls while learning to ride a bicycle, unsupervised, without training wheels strongly hint that I would've broken twice as many bones and chickened out but its just that I was never given the option to find out. Oh, it pains me to this very day that I was denied the opportunity to be India's first Professional Skateboarder.

So nevermind that after skating for many years, the coolest stunt I could pull was a wheelie. What do I care what you think? Senior citizens and little girls in frocks thought it was clever.
Moving on, I stopped skateboarding sometime in the 9th standard. I had to act all grown up and extracurricular activities like playing with the apartment kids instead of studying for my boardexams were frowned upon by folks at home. Eventually, I lost touch and have no idea where my skateboard is now. I guess that kinda ended my career option as an extreme games sportsperson.


But today much joy comes when I play skateboarding games especially the series that feature Tony Hawk. He's this star Pro Skateboarder from ESPN's X-Games who inspired me to own/steal his games - Tony Hawk's Pro Skating 4 (THPS4) and Tony Hawk's Underground 2 (THUG2).
They're awesome skating simulator games which allow you to perform insane skateboard tricks in various environments and have a huge amount of replay value.


Anyway, so I was googling for info on whether the latest Tony Hawk's Project 8(THP8) was out for PC yet and one of the search results was

http://www.tony-hawks.com/home.php

This is the official website of a British writer/comedian called Tony Hawks who is often confused with Tony Hawk.
Apparently he receives in his inbox, a lot of fanmail from the fans of the skateboarder 'congratulating him on his skateboarding prowess and asking him advice on how to do various
manoeuvres'. And what does he do?
He replies to them.

Dear Tony,
you are my favourite skater.I went to the huckjam.It was great.I like you so much
that at the huckjam I wanted to run down the stares and meat you.From Jason.
Jason, I don't let anybody 'meat me' anymore. The last time was too painful. Also, you should know that it is dangerous to 'run down the stares.' If people are staring, just let them. They'll get bored eventually and it's not big or clever to run them down.
TH

Tony i am your number one fan.Pleas give me some good advice about skateboarding and tips to.You are very professional about skateboarding.okey thats all bye.
I’m afraid you are rather presumptious to claim to be my number one fan. I’m afraid you have dropped three places this week to number 247.
TH



hey tony!
I like tony hawks underground.I skate myself and i must say i cannot ollie.How is it done?Cheers for reading.
Samuel
Samuel, I like the way you finish your mail. 'Cheers for Reading'. At last someone else who appreciates this much maligned town. Reading is a wonderful place with an excellent one way system, efficient libraries, and a number of fine grass verges. On top of that, it is well-served by the M4 motorway, so it has easy access to places which are much, much nicer. Goodbye
TH


Hey Tony,
I just wanted to say you and your son were awesome today at the Tony Hawks boom boom huck jam! Good luck to you and your son by the way, I hope your son grows up to be pro like you!You better watch your son cause all the girls might go for him he is a cutie but too young
for me!!!
Always Jessy 14 years old!
PS- I've always been a big fan to you and always will cause I wish I was as good as you!!!
Is a flip a good board to start out with?
Dear Always Jessy,
Good name, and so much better than 'All ways Jessy' which has unsavoury connotations. Thanks you for the kind words about me and my son. I have to confess I was unaware that I had any male offspring, but there you go - you learn something every day.
Look forward to meeting you at the next 'Tony Hawks Boom Boom Huck Jam'. These are proving very popular and they are a lot of fun to host. I'm particularly pleased to see that this time around home made marmalade sales were up on last year's event.
TH

More here http://www.tony-hawks.com/skatemail_archive.php



Tony Hawk's Project 8 is currently available for the XBOX and Playstation and should be out for the PC very soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebelzz said...

oh u pulled a wheelie! Am impressed! ;) *~evil grin~*

March 15, 2007 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home